Strategies for Successful practice management in IPM 2022

Recorded versions of our virtual review courses are available to purchase. 


Here are some of the available ASIPP® Podcasts:

  • Dr. Amol Soin And The Business Side Of COVID-19
  • Dr. Kevin Pho of KevinMD.com Reveals Terrific Insight And Ideas On The “New Norm” After The COVID-19
  • Andrea Trescot, MD Takes On The Subject Of Controlled Substance Management
  • ASIPP® Pod August 2019 – Distinguished Pain Leaders Prunskis, Prunskis, and Helm Discuss Issues That Face IPM
  • Miles Day Of Texas Tech Discusses Multiple Pain Management Topics



Join ASIPP. Your Voice For Interventional Pain Management

Good News: Novitas and First Coast Reverse Position on Sedation and MAC for Radiofrequency

Novitas and First Coast both reversed their position and now agree that based on the existing wording within the national work group policy for facet joint interventions, for Limitation #2, conscious sedation and MAC is NOT restricted for RFA.

CGS has provided the same opinion in the past.

On January 14 ASIPP sent correspondence to all Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) on Local Coverage Determinations for Facet Joint Interventions for Pain Management and guidance related to sedation and monitoring anesthesia care limitations for RFA.

For Novitas, First Coast, and CGS, the following apply:

1. Moderate sedation and MAC are allowed for radiofrequency neurotomy procedures; however, no general anesthesia is allowed for radiofrequency neurotomy.

2. Only mild sedation where patient is responsive (not moderate sedation or MAC, with or without sedation) are allowed for facet joint intraarticular injections or facet joint nerve blocks.

3. Epidurals also follow the same philosophy as facet joint nerve blocks and intraarticular injections.

We will continue to correspond with the other MACs for clarification on this matter.

Thank you again for your interest in ASIPP. We will continue to update you as we obtain information on these crucial issues.

Merry Christmas and Good News from Congress Reducing the Payment Cuts from 9.75% to 2.5%!

ASIPP has advocated on three (3) policies. Last night the House of Representatives passed the legislation which included most of the aspects of what we have been working for this year to prevent the cuts. The Senate is expected to pass this soon. 1. Waive PAYGO – Providers would be subject to a 4% payment reduction if Congress did not waive the PAYGO requirements in the end of year package. Great news! The last night the House passed a year-end package with this provision removed in its entirety.


Updated Information on the Nationwide LCD Policy for Epidural Procedures for Pain Management

CGS has released its final policy for epidural steroid injections for pain management has been released. This will be effective 12/5/2021. Please check your individual MACs.  Read more…


Public Health Emergency Covering Telephone Only Services Extended through January 17, 2022

The public health emergency (PHE) was set to expire on October 18, 2021. Secretary Becerra has once again renewed this PHE for a period of 90 days, which will extend the coverage for telephone only services until at least January 17, 2022. Currently, it is expected that HHS will continue to renew it declaration of the PHE every 90 days through the end of 2021 and will provide 60 days’ notice prior to ending it.

Our letter campaign is also trying to prevent cuts of 9.75% for physician payment and 6% for facility payment. To participate in the letter campaign and to read more about this issue by visiting the ASIPP Advocacy site at. https://asipp.org/advocacy/


In January 2022, physician practices face the following Medicare financial hits:

1. Physician Payment Cuts
• The expiration of the congressionally enacted 3.75% temporary increase to the Medicare physician fee schedule conversion factor, which was set into place to avoid payment cuts associated with budget neutrality adjustment tied to PFS policy changes.
• The expiration of the current reprieve from the repeatedly extended 2% sequester stemming from the Budget Control Act of 2011. It appears that while Congress originally scheduled this policy to sunset in 2021, it will now continue into 2030.
• The Imposition of a 4% statutory PAYGO sequester resulting from passage of the American Rescue Plan Act, presumably extending for at least another 10 years.

2. Facility Payment Cuts
• Under the present status, it appears that ambulatory surgery centers and other facilities will be suffering with 2% cut from sequester extension and a 4% reduction with imposition of a 4% statutory PAYGO sequester resulting from passage of the Budget Control Act of 2011

3. Telephone Only Services
• CMS has eliminated coverage for telephone only services (CPT 99441-99443), effective December 20, 2021. 

Link to submit patient letters through VoterVoice: https://www.votervoice.net/ASIPP/campaigns/88591/respond

Link to submit physicians and staff letters through VoterVoice: https://www.votervoice.net/ASIPP/campaigns/88596/respond

[ Click here for more information and sample letters]

A proposed LCD on Epidural Procedures for Pain Management services was announced on June 10, 2021. This nationwide policy contains many onerous changes that will detrimentally affect patient access to care. ASIPP has written comment letters with detailed explanations of the issues and needed changes to each Medicare Contractor. Click to read more.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of HOPD and ASC Proposed Rule for 2022

Telehealth services are preserved through 2023 and evaluation management services are expanded.

Expiration of the congressionally enacted 3.75% temporary increase in Medicare physician fee schedule conversion factor, reducing the conversion factor by 3.75%.

Addition of 6% cuts, 2% from 2011 of Obama era, and 4% from American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, totaling 6%.

It could get even uglier if Congress passes infrastructure bills as one unit or 2 units, which may add additional 4% or more to the cuts.

See Comment Letter on Proposed HOPD/ASC 2022 Fee Schedule

CMS Releases Proposed 2022 Physician Fee Schedule: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Telehealth services are preserved through 2023 and evaluation management services are expanded.

Expiration of the congressionally enacted 3.75% temporary increase in Medicare physician fee schedule conversion factor, reducing the conversion factor by 3.75%.

Addition of 6% cuts, 2% from 2011 of Obama era, and 4% from American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, totaling 6%.

See Comment Letter to CMS on Proposed Physician Fee Schedule

Read more…

From the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic to all the variants, keep up to date here on all the issues related to your practice. 

Click here to access ASIPP’s COVID-19 Resources. Here is a list of some of the articles found there:
ASIPP Draft Guidance Document on COVID-19 Vaccine and Steroids

2. Good News About Telehealth and Payroll Protection Program

Audits of Medicare Payments for Spinal Pain Management Services

Medicare Part B covers various spinal pain management services including facet joint injections, facet joint denervation sessions, lumbar epidural injections, and trigger point injections. Medicare Part B also covers sedation administered during these pain management services. We will audit whether Medicare payments for spinal pain management services billed by physicians complied with Federal requirements. Expected Issue Date (FY) 2022

Click here for more information and related articles.


ASIPP is pleased to announce the publication of the Comprehensive Evidence-Based Guidelines for Epidural Interventions in the Management of Chronic Spinal Pain. In preparation of the guidelines, an extensive literature review was performed. The 210-page guidelines contains 33 figures, 48 tables, 1,345 references and has 60 authors.

In addition to the review of multiple manuscripts in reference to utilization, expenditures, anatomical and pathophysiological considerations, pharmacological and harmful effects of drugs and procedures, for evidence synthesis, we have included 47 systematic reviews and 43 RCTs covering all epidural.




2022 Fee Schedules


Doctor Finder allows you to search for an ASIPP® Member Interventional Pain Physician anywhere in America by name or by location. It’s quick and easy.

PainExam is proud to announce that it now offers preparation for the ABIPP Pain Management Board Exam! In addition, PainExam has now collaborated with ASIPP to offer Virtual Learning programs.


PainCast, the pain management network, has collected years worth of information on the history and processes of the pain management specialization and transformed it into a virtual library of videos, journals, articles, podcasts, and more – all at your fingertips.

Essentials of Regenerative Medicine in Interventional Pain Management is a book to bring concise, collective, and comprehensive information to interventional pain physicians practicing regenerative medicine with its applications in managing chronic pain.


ASIPP has formed a partnership with Henry Schein and PedsPal, a national GPO that has a successful history of negotiating better prices on medical supplies and creating value added services for the independent physician.


The American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) is pleased to announce a partnership with Willow Risk Advisors to create an exclusive policy available to ASIPP members. In an effort to further increase value to its physician members, the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) has endorsed Willow Risk Advisors as their professional liability insurance broker.


ASIPP is now offering our members the benefit of a unique revenue cycle management/billing service. We have received a tremendous amount of interest in the ASIPP billing and coding program.