May 5, 2023
First Coast and Novitas Retire Proposed LCD on Nerve Stimulators for Chronic Intractable Pain
After unrelenting pressure from the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP), Florida Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, (FSIPP) (lead by Dr. Deborah Tracy), and other state societies, First Coast and Novitas have ruled to retire the proposed LCD, Nerve Stimulators for Chronic Intractable Pain (DL39406), related Local Coverage Article (LCA) (DA59190), Nerve Stimulators for Chronic Intractable Pain (DL39404), and Billing and Coding: Nerve Stimulators for Chronic Intractable Pain (DA59188).
- See First Coasts’ Update History: https://medicare.fcso.com/Coverage_News/0482550.asp
- See Novitas’ Update History: https://www.novitas-solutions.com/webcenter/portal/MedicareJL/pagebyid?contentId=00006151
In the correspondence from First Coast, the CMD responded, “all of the new information, along with any new evidence we reviewed specific to painful diabetic neuropathy, will be carefully considered if we decide to publish a revised proposed LCD. Any new proposed LCD will also be published for comment in accordance with CMS guidelines. If we decide to publish a new LCD on this topic, the earliest we anticipate publishing the revised LCD would be early in 2024.”
- Read FSIPP’s position statement in their letter to First Coast/Novitas here: https://asipp.org/fsipp-position-statement-scs-pns-2022/
- Read FSIPP’s follow-up letter to First Coast/Novitas here: https://asipp.org/fsipp-letter-2023/
On March 23, 2023 ASIPP sent a letter of concern to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee in regards to a proposed policy which would consider implantable peripheral nerve stimulation devices for the treatment of acute and chronic pain to be considered investigational.
- Read the BCBS of Tennessee’s proposed policy here: https://asipp.org/bcbs-tn-draft-implantable_periph_nerve_stim_pol/
- Read ASIPP’s letter to BCBS of Tennessee here: https://asipp.org/blue-cross-blue-shield-of-tennessee-003/
We will continue to lobby the remaining Medicare contractors and the national Medicare Director, Tamara Syrek Jensen on this matter as we did with First Coast.
ASIPP will keep our members updated as new information becomes available.