The important aspects of Omnibus include proposed pay cuts of 2% in 2023 for physicians, a reduction from 4.5%, and in 2024, the cuts will increase to 3.5%.
The Wall Street Journal described this as the ugliest Omnibus bill ever with a 4,155 page bill that most members will never read. This bill includes multiple provisions affecting healthcare providers:
1. Reduce the physician fee schedule cut from 4.5% to 2% for 2023 and 3.5% for 2024
2. Prevents the 4% statutory pay as you go sequester for 2 years
3. Provides extension of telehealth services for 2 years
4. The worst news is that:
- There is no mention of 2% sequester cut from ACA. Consequently, the 2% sequester cut will continue. Obviously, this will result in 4% cut for physician fee schedule from 2022 (2% new cut + 2% sequester cut = 4%).
- For facilities, sequester cut of 2% will be implemented through 2023.
There are also multiple changes on the Medicaid policy, which will remove ineligible of their Medicaid roles in April, regardless of when COVID-19 public health emergency ends.
As you well know, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) advanced advocacy to prevent all the cuts permanently. Obviously, we are extremely disappointed, along with almost all physician organizations. ASIPP will soon be providing you with appropriate activities for upcoming months and years as the new Congress steps in to remove these cuts permanently.
The new fee schedule, based on 2% and 4% cuts for 2023 for physicians and 2% cut for facilities, are available at www.asipp.org. Sample schedules are as follows:
- Physician Fee Schedule
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Fee Schedule
- Hospital Outpatient Department Fee Schedule
To view the entire fee schedule go to the ASIPP members only website.